Question:
HOW DOES HYDROGEN AFFECT HUMANS & THE ENVIRONMENT?
silverblingz
2006-01-05 21:24:15 UTC
HOW DOES HYDROGEN AFFECT HUMANS & THE ENVIRONMENT?
Two answers:
Professor Beatz
2006-01-06 00:16:40 UTC
It's an ozone depleter, and it is extremely volitile. If you've ever heard of the Hindenberg explosion (36 people dies) that was because the Zeplin was filled with hydrogen gas.

Manufacture of hydrogen will result in CO2 emmission even though the use of hydrgoen does not. That's because hydrogen gas is usually made from methane or other fossils fuels. Theoretically, it can also be made from the electrolysis of water, but this requires a lot of electricity, and very little of the electricity available comes from sources other than fossil fuels.

Ask any engineer or chemist, and they'll tell you: it's a scam.
solario19
2006-01-10 19:58:29 UTC
Prof Beatz is partly right but mainly wrong. I should know, I've got a masters in chemistry and have taught college chemistry for over 20 years.

The USA must convert over to a hydrogen based economy and soon. Using hydrogen gas as a fuel source instead of carbon based fossil fuels is completely nonpolluting and totally safe for the environment. And it's completely recyclable.

He does have a point that it matters where the hydrogen comes from. And whether that source is carbon based.