Question:
Why do ionic compounds, with the same concentration, have such large differences in conductivity values?
Jenna
2011-06-05 22:26:31 UTC
We're talking CaCl2, AlCl3, and NaCl.
Our lab data is this...
CaCl2 Relative conductivity (RC) = 17030 uS
AlCl3 RC = 21736 uS
NaCl RC = 15023 uS

And yes, I know its not uS, its (that little Greek letter)S but.. yeah.
I think it has something to do with the equations, but I don't know what. Help? Thanks!
Three answers:
Araktsu
2011-06-05 22:48:53 UTC
Conductivity is of course electron flow relative to some standard. The most obvious standard will be the electronegativity of the elements, type of bonding (which you have already specified), and thermal conductivity factors.

You may get a simple answer by the topic is probably not so simple. The more relevant information you can get, the better your analysis will be. There are quite a few educational sites designed by professors for their students to review.

Check out these sites and see if you can get more insight by absorbing more relevant information and explanation of the factors involved. I searched for "conductivity and electronegativity" and "ionic compounds and conductivity" and found the sites below among others:

http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~chem101/sschem/conduction.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/chemical/bond.html

http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/compounds/faq/properties-ionic-vs-covalent.shtml

Or you can do things the hard way and go to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_conductor

Wikipedia is not peer reviewed in many if not all cases, and unless you already know something about the subject you are seeking, it is easy to become lost or misled.
2016-11-09 03:05:05 UTC
Ionic compounds are formed between a metallic and non-metallic factors on the periodic table. They make an ionic bonds. Molecular compounds are formed between 2 or extra non-metallic factors. They make covalent bonds. Ionic bonds manage the circulate of electrons. One factor (many times the metallic) donates or supplies a undeniable sort of electrons to the the different factor (the non-metallic). some examples: NaCl, Ca3P2, K3N Covalent bonds bargains with the sharing of electrons. instead of thoroughly giving freely electrons, 2 non-metals will share them. some examples are: O2, C3P4, and so on yet another difficulty to be conscious: Ionic bonds - subscripts could be expected for each compound (utilising the periodic table). Covalent bonds - the subscripts can not be expected.
2011-06-05 22:52:18 UTC
If you dissolved 1 molecule of NaCl is water how many ions would you have? Answer, 2. What about 1 molecule of CaCl2? AlCl3?

AKA how may atoms are in each molecule?